Thursday, September 26, 2013

Glossophobia – School Terror


 

 
Public speaking in school at any grade was a terrorizing experience for most people.  Yes, the  dreaded oral report.

Glossophobia is the fear of speaking in public.

Sadly, grade school is where most people solidify their fear of speaking in public.  Glossophobia is essentially the fear of social rejection while speaking in public.  What could be more threatening and traumatizing than being potentially socially rejected and mocked by your school peer group?

To exacerbate matters, you have one of the most important authority figures in your life, your teacher, judging and grading your performance.

In my personal situation, my public speaking experiences in grade school were not supportive exercises. My experiences did not build my self esteem or self confidence.  They had the exact opposite effect of  making me more fearful of speaking in public.

It is amazing to me that schools do not activity encourage students to develop public speaking skills. Perhaps so many educators themselves do not have strong public speaking skills themselves. 

- Posted by Andy Paultanis

No comments:

Post a Comment